We needed a good breakfast this morning, one that would give us loads of energy for working on the allotment and in our garden at home. This chocolate cacao porridge really hit the spot – it tastes deliciously decadent, but is amazingly good for you! Free from refined sugars, wheat and dairy, but packed full of yum! Hooray….
Raw cacao is very different to processed cocoa powder and one of the most nutrient-rich foods on the planet! It’s a natural source of energy and is said to enhance motivation and feelings of pleasure and bliss – yes please! The oats are incredibly sustaining whilst the nuts, fruit and honey make this an all-round breakfast winner in our house!
Chocolate 'Cacao' Porridge
- 130g rolled oats
- 800ml nut milk (you can make your own nut milk here)
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or raw honey
- Flaked almonds, banana slices and cacao powder or nibs to serve.
- Place all the ingredients in a pan on the hob and bring to the boil. Turn down and simmer gently for around 5 minutes, stirring so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom. You may need to add a little more nut milk or water to get the right consistency for you and your family. We like our porridge quite runny (we’re definitely not gloopy porridge fans!)
- Serve with a sprinkling of cacao powder or cacao nibs, some sliced bananas and flaked almonds and enjoy the natural buzz of energy you’ll get from all these amazing ingredients!
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com