I love using seasonal organically grown veg wherever possible, so it’s fantastic to be cooking with freshly picked asparagus and I absolutely love fennel, so that had to go in too! Asparagus and fennel are both great for your digestion, whilst the pumpkin seeds add some protein and essential fatty acids, plus a bit of crunch! Served with our homemade rye sourdough bread, this was a big winner at the table last night. Yay!
Asparagus and Fennel Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced
- 400g asparagus spears
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped or 1 tsp dried, plus extra to serve
- 1-2 tbsp pumpkin seeds to serve
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on the hob and add the onions, garlic and fennel seeds. Cook gently until soft.
- Add all the other ingredients, except the pumpkin seeds. Bring to the boil, turn down and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Whizz up in a blender until smooth. Pour into two bowls.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve sprinkled with pumpkin seeds and a little sprig of fresh thyme.
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com