This is one of our favourite meals for eating al fresco down at the allotment garden. We marinate our halloumi, get the little allotment stove going, pull up a couple of fresh beets and away we go. Really simple, really good for you and really tasty. Yay!
Fantastic served on the side or as a main, the herbs and spices bring out the amazing earthy flavours, the nuts and seeds add protein and extra crunch, whilst the cheeses are deliciously creamy… and it’s a spectacular colour too!
Marinated Halloumi & Beetroot Salad
- 250g halloumi cheese, diced
- 4 tbsp tamari
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 500g raw beetroot, skin on
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp coriander, chopped (plus extra for topping)
- 3 tbsp walnuts, crushed (plus extra for topping)
- 150g feta cheese, diced and crumbled
- 2 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Season with salt and pepper
- Place the halloumi cheese, tamari, lemon juice and chilli in a shallow dish. Cover and leave to marinate for around 1 hour.
- Grate the raw beetroot (I use my Magimix for this, but a hand grater is totally fine – just slower & bit messier!)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on the hob over a medium-high heat.
- Drain the halloumi, reserving the tamari marinade and cook until brown and slightly crispy.
- Add the raw grated beetroot and marinade sauces, the coriander and walnuts. Continue cooking until the beetroot has started to soften.
- Remove from the heat and gently stir in 100g of the feta cheese.
- Top with the leftover feta, extra walnuts and coriander. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if using and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve on its own or as side dish. Yummy hot or cold.
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com