Oh my golly gosh! Delicious. A really simple, seasonal dessert using local apples, that won’t give you or your children a frenzied sugar rush before bed! Woohoo. Dairy free, gluten free and free of refined sugars, this is a traditional pud with a healthy twist!
Very tasty with apples, but works equally well with other fruits – try an autumnal version with pears and plums or a tropical one with mango and peach. Sometimes, you’ve just got to eat cake…
Apple and Almond Pudding
- 125g maple syrup (or rice syrup/raw honey)
- 75g coconut oil
- 125g wholemeal buckwheat flour (if you’re ok with gluten, then plain wholemeal flour works well)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50g ground almonds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 large eating apples, cored and thinly sliced (pears, plums, peaches & mangos are also good)
- 2 tbsp flaked almonds, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 180C(160C fan).
- Put the maple syrup and coconut oil in a pan on the hob and heat gently until combined. Leave to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds and baking powder.
- Add the maple syrup mixture to the mixing bowl and combine thoroughly.
- Gently fold the beaten eggs into the mixture.
- Cover the bottom of a baking dish (approx 20x30cm) with a layer of apple slices, saving around 1/3 for the top.
- Scrape the ‘cake’ mixture over the apples and roughly spread with a knife.
- Decorate the top with flaked almonds and the extra fruit slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 40 minutes until golden brown.
- Delicious served hot or cold.
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com