This is our amazing healthier than healthy rosehip syrup made with rice syrup. Not a bag of sugar in sight! Packed with natural Vitamin C to ward off winter colds and what a colour!
Very excited to be making healthier alternatives to the usual sugar-laden jams, syrups and chutneys.
- 375g Rose Hips (de-stalked and minced or chopped up very, very fine)
- 1.6 ltr boiling water
- 50g rice syrup
- Put the rosehips in a big pan with 1.3 ltrs of boiling water. Bring back to the boil and then take off the heat and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Strain through a muslin cloth/jam straining bag into a clean pan. You’ll be left with a whole load of bits in the cloth.
- Put the bits back in the old pan and add the remaining 300ml of boiling water. As before, bring back to the boil and then take off the heat and leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Strain this lot through the cloth into the clean pan with the rest of the liquid.
- Bring the liquid to the boil and reduce down to around 350ml (takes longer than you think!).
- Stir in 50g rice syrup until dissolved.
- Bottle in clean, sterilised containers.
Notes: You can also freeze this syrup to last you through the winter months.
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com