This was the first and rather messy bottling of our elderberry winter tonic with no refined sugar. Tastes incredible and is full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
Elderberry winter tonic
- 500g elderberries, stripped off the bunch
- 300g rice syrup
- 15 cloves
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 3cm chunk of ginger, peeled and sliced
- Put the elderberries in a pan on the hob and cover with water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve and discard the bits.
- Weigh the liquid and place it back in a pan on the hob. To every 900ml elderberry liquid add 300g rice syrup (exactly how much liquid you get always varies, so adjust accordingly).
- Add the cloves, lemon juice and ginger to the pan and stir well. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Leave to cool. Strain out the bits and bottle in sterilised containers.
Notes: You can also freeze this tonic, so that it lasts you right through the winter months.
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com