This is the most amazing jam made with rice syrup instead of sugar and packed with Vitamin C, antioxidants and natural anti-inflammatory properties, so a healthier version of all the usual sugar-laden jams. Hooray!
We had such fun collecting all these goodies from the hedgerows and trees in the fields and woods nearby – crabapples, elderberries, hawberries, blackberries, rose hips, beechnuts, sloes and rowan berries.
Healthy hedgerow jam
- 250g each of hawberries, rose hips, sloes and rowan berries
- 450g each of crab apples, blackberries and elderberries
- 50g beechnuts (shelled and hulled)
- 650g brown rice syrup
- 1tbsp coconut oil
- Put all the fruit except the blackberries and elderberries in a pan. Cover with water and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Push through a sieve and discard all the bits. Put the juice back in the pan with the blackberries, elderberries and nuts and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the rice syrup and coconut oil and boil hard for around 20 minutes until it starts to look ‘jammy’.
- Pour into sterilised jars and try not to eat it all at once!
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com