Another pre-publication sneak preview recipe of one of our favourite sweet ‘bites’ from our upcoming book ‘Energy Bites’, which is due out tomorrow! Don’t forget that you can win a copy of the book by simply leaving a comment on the ‘Giveaway’ blog post.
These little balls of sunshine are packed with natural anti-inflamatory turmeric and masses of vitamin C-rich mango, goji berries, lime juice, rosehip and baobab, plus nut protein for vitality. Don’t worry if you can’t lay your hands on any baobab or rosehip powders – they’re a great source of Vitamin-C, but the recipe works just as well without them.
A perfect snack to help ward off the winter blues … in fact they’re a delicious tropical-tasting treat at any time of year! We had such fun creating them and hope you’ll love them as much as we do…
'Energy Bites' - Tropical Immune Boosters
- 140g (5oz) dried mango
- 30g (1oz) goji berries
- 140g (5oz) cashew nuts
- 60g (2oz) desiccated coconut, plus extra to coat
- 1¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 tbsp baobab powder (optional)
- 1 tsp rosehip powder (optional)
- 2–4 tbsp cold filtered water
- Place all the ingredients except the filtered water in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- With the motor running, add the water a little at a time until the mixture starts to come together, forming a loose ball.
- Divide into 16 evenly sized portions and roll into balls.
- Sprinkle a layer of desiccated coconut on a separate plate and gently roll the balls to coat.
- Place in the fridge for 1 hour or freeze for 20 minutes to firm up before eating. Best served chilled, but absolutely fine to pop in a lunchbox and eat later in the day!
Making by hand: Finely chop the mango (soak your mango in cold water for 5 minutes to soften if necessary), substitute ready-made cashew nut butter for the cashews, and mix in the powders and juice.
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com
You’ll be able to buy ‘Energy Bites’ in bookshops, on Amazon or on the DK website. Published by DK on 15 January 2016, £6.99. DK.com. A fabulous collaboration with established cookery writer Annie Nichols and gorgeous photographs by Will Heap.