A friend asked me to create a banana-free ‘cheesecake’ for those that don’t do bananas… so here it is! Just as yummy and just as good for you with a little tropical twist and not a banana in sight. Dairy free, gluten free and with no refined sugars, this is the perfect guilt-free pud that won’t give you or the children a sugar-rush before bed. Yay!
Raw Tropical 'Cheesecake'
- 185g almonds
- 185g dates, destoned
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 220g cashews
- 200g ripe mango, peeled and destoned
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Fresh figs, kiwi fruit, coconut flakes and passionfruit to serve
- Blitz the almonds & dates in a food processor until they resemble sticky breadcrumbs.
- Add the lime juice & cinnamon and blitz again until it starts to come together (you may need to add a little water).
- Using your hands or the back of a spoon, press the mixture into the base of a 25cm flan tin.
- Put the cashews, mango, honey and vanilla in the blender and whizz until smooth. Add the chia seeds to the blender at the last minute.
- Pour this mixture over the base and smooth out the top.
- Place in the fridge to set for a few hours or in the freezer if you’re short on time. It will last for 2-3 days in the fridge and around 9 months in a deep freeze! Ours lasts for about a day…
- Best served chilled and topped with slices of fresh fig & kiwi fruit, passionfruit & coconut flakes.
Top Tip: For an even creamier ‘cheese’ and a more nutrient-dense dessert, try soaking your cashew nuts in filtered water for around 3 hours before draining, rinsing and using as normal.
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com