I love beetroots! They’re so easy to grow and are a totally gorgeous colour. We’ve been experimenting with beetroot in our breakfast porridge and this is the result. ‘Ta da’… delicious pink porridge!
I used organic beetroot powder for this one, but have also made it with fresh beetroot juice and both work really well. We all skipped out the door this morning. Yum…
Apple & Beetroot Porridge
- 200g rolled oats
- 700ml almond milk (slightly less if you’re using fresh beetroot juice)
- 1 large eating apple, skin on & grated
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds (ups the protein content)
- 4 tsp beetroot powder or 4 tbsp fresh beetroot juice
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup, to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a pan on the hob and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
- Turn down the heat and simmer until your porridge is the right consistency for you. Add more nut milk if you like it runnier.
- We topped our porridge with slices of kiwi and pumpkin seeds, but use any topping you fancy – crushed pistachio nuts, pomegranate seeds, cacao nibs, bee pollen and fruit of any kind are all delicious.
- Take the time to enjoy your pink breakfast…
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com