Packed with protein and rich in omega-3 oils, we absolutely love this alternative to our regular loaf! The recipe was a ‘eureka’ moment in the early hours of the morning, when I’d been up developing and testing recipes for our new book ‘Superfood Breakfasts‘. It’s full of seeds for depth of flavour and lots of crunch, as well as being gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free & yeast free AND it’s a doddle to make (no kneading or rising required!) Perfect…
Delicious just as it is with squished avocado & tomatoes or toasted and spread with homemade brazil nut butter & chia jam. We’ve been munching on it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hope you enjoy it too!
Quinoa Superseed Loaf
- 300g (10oz) quinoa (soaked
- weight 500g/1lb 2oz)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 200g (7oz) buckwheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp maca powder (optional)
- 50g (13⁄4oz) brown flax seeds
- 50g (13⁄4oz) pumpkin seeds
- 50g (13⁄4oz) sunflower seeds
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp mixed seeds, to sprinkle
- Soak the quinoa for 8 hours in double the volume of filtered water with 2 tsp salt, then drain and rinse.
- Preheat the oven to 180oC (350oF/Gas 4). Line the base and sides of a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- Put the quinoa in a food processor or blender with the maple syrup and whizz to a smooth batter.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and maca powder, if using, and whizz until combined. Gradually add 240ml (8fl oz) filtered water.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl, add the seeds, and stir to combine, then fold in the eggs. Pour into the prepared tin and sprinkle with the extra seeds.
- Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown and a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes. Turn out on to a rack and allow to cool completely before slicing.
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com