Adventures in our kitchen have led to this amazingly delicious flapjack! Gluten free, dairy free and with no added refined sugar, it’s a healthy treat that’s packed full of natural energy. Hooray! Brilliant on an autumn walk, in the kids packed lunch or for extra digging power in the garden.
- 100g coconut oil
- 200g rice syrup, date syrup or honey
- 100g tahini
- 200g rolled oats
- 150g nuts such as crushed walnuts, pecans or flaked almonds
- 100g seeds such as hemp, chia, flax, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame
- 100g dried fruit such as raisins, chopped dates, apricots, figs
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g cacao nibs (optional, but great for an instant energy boost)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 160C (140C fan).
- Warm the coconut oil, syrup and tahini in a pan on the hob until combined. Set aside.
- Place all the other ingredients in a big mixing bowl.
- Add the syrup mixture and combine. Leave for 10 minutes to get all sticky!
- Line a small baking tray (approx 18cm x 28cm) and press the mixture very firmly into it with your hands (washed!) or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool completely in the tray, cut into squares and eat!! Happiness.
Play around with this recipe by using a mixture of whatever nuts, seeds and dried fruit you have in your kitchen. Endless flavour combinations…
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com