An amazingly yummy family meal with a great protein kick! Rice, mackerel, caramelised onion, shredded lettuce, avocado, pecans and cumin seeds. My kids absolutely loved it (and didn’t even notice the avocado!)
Warm mackerel salad
- 100g brown basmati rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 50g pecan nuts
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 4 smoked mackerel fillets
- 1 avocado
- 1 head of lettuce (I used a small Cos lettuce – it’s what we had growing in the garden at the time)
- 2 tbsp coriander, chopped
- Cook the rice on the hob with the cinnamon stick as per packet instructions, usually around 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 170C (150C fan) and the grill to a high heat.
- Place the pecan nuts and cumin seeds in a small baking tray with 1tbsp of water and roast in the oven for around 10 minutes. Give them a shake half way through. Leave to cool.
- Heat the oil in a pan on the hob and add the onion. Cook gently on a low heat until soft. Add the vinegar and paprika and continue to cook until the vinegar has evaporated and the onion looks caramelised. Leave to cool.
- Heat the mackerel fillets, skin side down, under the grill for around 7-8 minutes. Take out and remove the skins. Flake the fish into bite sized pieces.
- Chop up the avocado (I chop it up very small) and shred the lettuce.
- In a big bowl combine the cooked rice (remove the cinnamon stick), the onion mixture, avocado, lettuce, nuts and flaked fish. Stir gently and serve with chopped coriander on top.
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com
3 thoughts on “Warm mackerel salad”
This looks lovely. It will go on my meal planner that Kate is printing out for me. (This is actually Kate typing for Sue but I will get her to do it on her own soon!!)
Sounds like you’re getting very organised with your healthy eating plan Sue. Good luck! xx
Another simple but excellent idea. Keep them coming please.