Leafy green veg like kale and chard are some of our favourite winter crops – incredibly easy to grow and brilliantly versatile in the kitchen. There’s a great thrill in gathering an armful of kale on a frosty morning or heading down to the allotment with a torch to find some chard for dinner! Big armfuls of curly kale and black ‘nero di toscana’ are destined for a batch of kale crisps and a very tasty green juice, our so-called ‘Green Goddess’. Full of homegrown green goodness and a real kickstart to the day….
The Green Goddess
- 3 handfuls kale, spinach or chard
- 3 celery sticks
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 handful parsley
- 1 lemon, peeled
- 1 tsp spirulina powder (optional)
- Chop up the fruit and veg, so it fits nicely in your juicer (preferably a cold-press variety).
- Push the fruit and veg through the juicer.
- Pour the juice into a glass. If using spirulina, stir it briskly into the juice.
- Drink immediately and enjoy!
Top tip: Green juices taste even better when they’re cold. Harvest and juice your winter greens straight away or add some ice.
Recipe by Homegrown Kate www.homegrownkate.com