I’ve been meaning to post this recipe for ages, as it’s one of our favourite family breakfasts and such a brilliant way to start the day. They’re our ‘secret weapon’ protein-packed pancakes – perfect for that extra boost when there’s digging to be done on the allotment or before we head out orienteering(!) In fact we don’t need an excuse – they’re awesome any time.
Deliciously thick and super tasty, these pancakes have some pretty unusual ingredients and they’re gluten free, with no added refined sugar to boot! Breakfast will never be the same again….
I love that they’re really quick and easy to make and that fresh eggs from our chickens play a starring role in the recipe! The eggs and the cottage cheese (yes, cottage cheese!) give a great protein-kick, the oats provide masses of sustained energy, whilst the turmeric is an awesome anti-inflammatory. I hope you love them as much as we do!
Super-charged protein pancakes
- 200g oats
- 400g cottage cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Coconut oil to grease the pan
- Fruit, nuts, seeds, yoghurt and honey to serve
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and whizz at high speed to make the batter.
- Lightly grease a shallow frying pan with coconut oil and place on a medium-hot heat (we use two frying pans to speed up the cooking time). Pour in a dollop of batter – the batter is quite thick, so you’ll need to swirl it around in the pan to create a good pancake shape. Cook for around 2 minutes before flipping and then cook for another 2 minutes on the other side, until golden brown.
- We put the pancakes on a plate in the oven as we go along, so that we can all eat together. Much more fun…
- Serve with some or all of the extra goodies. My favourite is walnuts, plain yoghurt, berries and honey. Very yum and very good for you!
Recipe by Homegrown Kate http://www.homegrownkate.com